Where healthcare environments and digital futures converge

Health 2.0

Subscribe to Health 2.0: eMailAlertsEmail Alerts newslettersWeekly Newsletters
Get Health 2.0: homepageHomepage mobileMobile rssRSS facebookFacebook twitterTwitter linkedinLinkedIn


Health 2.0 Authors: shagar bormon, Bivarus INC, OnPage Blog, Prashant Yadav, Plutora Blog

Related Topics: Health 2.0

Article

Eat Less, Lose More?

‘Til next time, stay focused and keep up your great work!

I have worked with many personal training Courses clients over the years who, when we first met, believed that the fewer calories they consumed throughout the day, the easier it would be for their bodies to burn off their existing fat stores. This article is therefore designed to shed light on this common assumption that by taking in less calories one will end up losing fat and inches from having fewer calories to burn off. Personal Trainer London

Ok, if your body is burning more calories than you are consuming then yes, you are likely to lose weight by creating a caloric deficit. How this deficit is created, however, will influence the type of weight that you lose!

By not eating enough calories the body will interpret the messages your hormones are sending to your brain as food being scarce. It then goes into famine mode and will respond by storing as much fat as it can in order to protect itself.

Any weight lost will therefore be water or muscle tissue which would be very bad news for your metabolism and the rate at which we are burn fat. When on a very-low-calorie diet, the levels of the hormone leptin (which controls hunger and helps us to feel full) drop dramatically. This then triggers the release of the stress hormone Cortisol which can cause sugar cravings. The levels of cortisol within the body will also affect its insulin response, meaning you are more likely to store fat when these levels are raised. A pretty great reason to relax if you want to lose body fat!

This is why it is generally best to eat little and often, ideally going no longer than three hours without food in order to optimise your metabolism. This is because we are more likely to store fat when the metabolism has nothing to do. Our blood sugar levels will also hit rock bottom when going without food for longer than three hours. I have had a fair few personal training clients who have now got into this new habit and it has done wonders for their fat loss.

Become a Personal Trainer
A sensible calorie deficit can thus be created by eating little and often and choosing foods that are less calorie dense but greater in volume. This way, we feel fuller for longer and never hungry or deprived. Examples include vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains such as quinoa rather than rice. I do not advocate the idea of reading the calorie content of every food label but if it contains sugar (or dextrose, maltose, sucrose or fructose – a good rule of thumb is that most words ending in ‘ose’ mean sugar!) it would do you good to avoid it. It also helps to know that when you are eating correctly the body will naturally rebalance itself to a healthy weight.

In order to eat sensibly, think about what you are likely to be doing and when throughout the course of the day in order to plan what you can eat. That way you will be able to avoid consuming more calories than you are burning and won’t have to worry about counting calories for the day. Getting into the habit of preparation has given my personal training clients some great results, and it is just a matter of practice.

Constantly trying to keep track of every calorie consumed does not generate a relaxed attitude towards food, yet a no-stress approach to eating is more likely to be successful in the long-run, which is this is what I try to encourage with my clients in between personal training sessions.

I hope this helps shed light on how to create a sensible calorie deficit, as well as how it can and should be a way of life rather than a temporary diet solution. By following the 90% rule and eating healthily 90% of the time and allowing the other 10% for other foods you wouldn’t eat on a day to day basis (such as a once a week ‘cheat meal’) you can create a healthy balance of food without feeling like you are depriving yourself.

If you have found this article useful please feel free to pass it on to anyone else you feel might benefit from it.

‘Til next time, stay focused and keep up your great work!

More Stories By John Hardy

John Hardy writes many articles and informative content when it comes to the health and fitness industry. Check out personal training courses, Fitness training courses, fitness courses, personal training in London, a website recommended by John, today. More Information Logon to http://www.fasterglobal.com/